An initiative in which communities work together to rebuild urban food systems that are healthy and fair for people and the planet.
CLIENT Oxfam (USA, Colombia, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Philippines)
Research and audience testing
Video directing and editing
The Urban Food Hives is an Initiative by Oxfam and SecondMuse that collaborates with many partners to build equitable, regenerative and climate-resilient urban food systems that provide nutritious and affordable food for all. With this program, they aim to use their position to provide urban communities across the globe with the tools, networks, and partnerships to increase their influence, learn, teach, and achieve change.
‘The Urban Food Hives’ is an inspiring global initiative mostly in its pilot phase. The Urban Food Hives initiative involves many cultures, contexts, people, benefits, challenges, accomplishments, and outcomes. Many stories that need to merge into one single narrative.
Our challenge is to turn the program inside out, explore the stories it contains, find the main thread, and shape this into one compelling core narrative that can support the Urban Food Hives Initiative to move to the next level.
- In the exploration phase, we took a deep dive into the pilots across five different countries, analysing existing content and interviewing country representatives to understand better the story and what is needed to tell it in a compelling way.
- In the ideation phase, we created narrative outlines and applied classic storytelling structures to captivate audiences. We performed audience research and created concepts for the visuals.
- In the implementation phase, we created all the content needed to build the textual and visual story of the Urban Food Hives Initiative. This included creating video reports (in Kenya) and designing illustrated infographics.
We created six colourful, interactive, and visual stories and twelve social media posts that capture the narrative of the Urban Food Hives Initiative.
For this project, we worked with two talented creators from our collective.
- Nala is a graphic designer, illustrator and photographer based in Kenya. Nala shares our commitment to using design as a tool for progress and change, and she brings a unique perspective and expertise to every project she works on. Nala has worked with many women-led organizations, using her design skills to help amplify their voices and improve the quality of their results. Together with Nala, we created the infographics and illustrations for the Urban Food Hives Narratives.
- Melle is a videographer and global citizen, who knows how to creatively capture stories on the road. As a flexible and a pro-active filmmaker, Melle has an eye for unexpected detail and the great ability to improvise. Together with Melle, we created the video reports and social media clips of the Food Waste Management Champions in the Korogocho Market in Nairobi, Kenya.
We see every challenge like a collaboration. Your story. Our strategy.
Projects check out the next
◀ WorkWhen the health entrepreneurs on the ground are the true heroes, empowering their own communities.CLIENT Healthy Entrepreneurs Services Brand Narrative StrategyDigital Marketing Strategy About Healthy Entrepreneurs believes that everyone has the right to have a...